“Power corrupts; Powerpoint corrupts absolutely” (Tufte)
My talk is through HTML links – you need to be on the web.
Reclaim Our Scholarship
[was: Bottom-up collaborations in the Internet Age]
VIVO12, Miami, US
Peter Murray-Rust, Unilever Centre for Molecular Sciences Informatics, University of Cambridge
- Restrictive practices in #scholpub are costing billions
- The direct fruits of science are denied to 99% of the human race – everywhere. The “scholarly poor”
- Most scientific data (80%+) is lost. Much of the rest is walled up by publishers
- The only answer is REAL OPEN.
- Individuals and small groups can change the world
- VIVO could be a key point in this change
Text for today – from SciVal (Elsevier) flyer
… “[In VIVO] [Elsevier] combine rich Scopus(R) publication histories, your institution’s own content and individual researcher data in semantic form, and share this information as linked open data.”
PMR mission – to create robots to liberate all published factual scientific content. “liberation software”
- I may audio-record my speech/ ??questions?? All outcome will be CC0.
- What is composition of audience?
- The Twitter stream is for YOUR comments and questions. I shall take questions on the stream first and Alicia will read them.
- Flowerpoint – my homage to Berkeley
- 5-star data
- Linked Open Data
- Open Knowledge Foundation
- Open Definition
- OKF open-access
- Panton Principles
- Panton Arms
- “Walled gardens” #Animalgarden https://vimeo.com/34323486
- Do walled gardens exist in #scholpub?
- Springergate chemistry
- Springer “copyright”
- The scholarly poor
- @ccess success stories
- The scholarly poor start building… based on bibliography
- Bibsoup for malaria
- Bibliography is the map of scholarship. We are creating Open Bibliography to liberate it
- Data liberation. What a single 3rd year postgraduate can do
- OPSIN chemical name translator 97% recal, 99.9% accurate
- ChemicalTagger 500,000 reactions from patents
- We subscribe to the literature. “The right to read is the right to mine”
- Elsevier Directrix of Universal Access
- So can a few people – without funding – change the world?
- Chemical MIME 2 pints beer; viral growth in 1994 – toook 6 weeks.
- Open streetmap ONE person (Steve Coates) + 500,000 volunteers. No bank account!
- Blue Obelisk Open source chemical community. 20 groups; interoperable. Mantra: ODOSOS (Open Data, Open Source, Open Standards). 25USD per year (2 obelisk prizes)
- Universal extraction of scientific content
- Extraction of content from a thesis (local demo only)
- Extraction of phylogenetic trees (local demo only)
- I am looking for collaborators who share this vision and approach
- VIVO could be the center of Truly Open academic bibliography and data – if you share this vision