More thoughts on JISC funding

I have been rightly taken to task for a throwaway phrase about secrecy in my posting about JISC projects. It wasn’t the real me … I claim no defence other than being a bit rusty on the blogging…

Les Carr:
Comment:
Surely to get collaboration going in these areas we are going to have to start giving away secrets? After all, what’s to lose? The pots of money aren’t big enough to squabble over.

Jos Winn
Comment:
Couldn’t agree more Les, and as the pots of money grow in size, the potential for funding wider collaboration is greater. Secrecy during funding calls seems like a rapidly out-dated and disadvantageous approach to me. Put people in a room and they don’t sit in the corner working out projects on their own. They talk to each other. With much of our time spent conversing over the web, the time is ripe for building on ideas that are forming through open online conversation every day.
Here’s something to help us along the way. Hopefully we can offer something else early next week…
http://wiki.writetoreply.org/wiki/Jiscri_Seeking_Collaborators

So fully agreed – we’ll work this out in the open… My 2p is that we can involve undergraduate students over the summer, where we have had lots of success. Haven’t thought a lot more than that. This could be a fun project involving several institutions
P.