I have been offline for some time because a lot has been going on. As I mentioned earlier we have had 5 students over this summer and they have been phenomenal. Not that previous students – such as Joe Townsend – have’t also been. But in the last 2 months we have achieved a huge amount of software and systems development and I’ll tell you about this later.
However it has kept me 100% occupied on software and I haven’t had a chance to think about blogging or anything much else.
There are several things that I shall write about (see http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk)
- The Chem4Word project where Microsoft and we are developing a chemical authoring system within the Office (and related) XML environments.
- The Crystal editor that we have been working on with sponsorship from the Int. Union of Crystallography and which Nick Day announced ar the Osaka IUCr meeting
- A departmental data repository for crystallography
- An ontology for chemical reactions (sponsorship from Royal Soc. Chemistry)
And there are upcoming meetings:
- This week I am talking at the Ticer meeting on digital liraries in Tilburg
- On Friday there is the Nature blogging meeting in London
So I have a full set of topics to cover. As I am in the process of changing machines and getting software ready for presentation I’ll leave the details for a day or two.