The unacceptable state of Chemoinformatics

Egon Willighagen has cricitized a numner of aspects of chemoinformatics: (I don’t blame Individuals in Commercial Chemoinformatics). This post was sparked off by an announcement that company A had agreed with company B that A would use B’s software. This touched a raw nerve in Egon who asked – why is this such a big deal? I understand Egon’s position – I have had 25+ years of these marketing announcements – X and Y announce some joint activity and I’m now inured to that. But he’s right – this is not news – it’s marketing.
Ultimately I blame the pharma companies – they have abrogated any sense of scientific or other rigour in chemoinformatics yet they effectively dominate the subject. Work in chemoinformatics is slanted towards what will appeal to pharma (and the appropriate publication mechanisms) rather than advancing our understanding of the science. The average publication relies on unobtainable datasets, closed bespoke software, undisclosed methodology and therefore unrepeatable science. It’s not surprising that we see the subject contracting – witness the closure of Cologne and the failure to fund the NIH Chemoinformatics program.
The pharma industry actively works against Open processes. Their exploratory science is in crisis. They would benefit from ODOSOS – Open Data (e.g. in basic chemistry, chemoinformatics, biological activity, ADME, pharmacology, etc.) Open Source and Open Standards. Yet they hide from sight, while actually using considerable amounts of Open Source software. and data. While this is not illegal, it’s certainly questionable whether an industry should take so much without returning anything – if nothing else on simple utilitarian grounds.
I’m feeling personally abused having been let down by a pharma company who approached me saying they were interested in Open Source software, wanted me to visit and then let me down. It wasted my time and left me out of pocket. It’s not the first time. The Blue Obelisk has now good products – Open Babel, CDK, Jmol, CML, etc. We know they are used in companies. It would be nice to feel this was valued. They could afford to feed something back.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to The unacceptable state of Chemoinformatics

1. Peter,
    When the Blue Obelisk met in San Francisco, we all heard from a pharma rep that applications get more attention than toolkits. So Jmol, Bioclipse, and hopefully Avogadro can get more attention than Open Babel, CDK, or JOELib.
    Now as for resources from pharma, government, and other groups? I suspect that will come in time. Community growth takes time. I think the open source chemical community is in fantastic shape as we enter 2008. So the broader community will grow too. At least that’s my US$0.02. (Not worth much now, though.)

2. pm286 says:

(1) Thanks Geoff – useful insight, and I’m not surprised. I agree we are in good shape.

3. Andrew Dalke says:

Would/should Avogadro get more attention than PyMol?

4. @Andrew: Please consider my comment a sin of omission, rather than one of malice. To be specific, Warren was at that particular dinner meeting. He was one who strongly favored the concept of discrete products and applications.
    The point, shared by many, was that it is much easier to run a demo for someone with an application than a toolkit.
    Currently, Avogadro is vaporware, and PyMol is a 1.0 release. So I suspect that PyMol does get more attention presently.