petermr's blog

A Scientist and the Web

Open-Data-driven science and a brokering system for ONS

Cameron Neylon and Jean-Claude Bradley have blogged about a directory of Open Notebook Science (ONS) where projects including this approach can register.

21:19 14/10/2007, Cameron Neylon,
As has been flagged up by Jean-Claude Bradley there are a couple of places now where people can sign up to say that they have Open Notebook Science in their laboratory, practise Open Notebook Science,or even would like to find a place where they can keep an Open Notebook.  Jean-Claude has put a list on the Nodalpoint Wiki and I have set up a database at DabbleDB. Dabbledb is a rather cool web based database system that provides free access as long as you make the database contents freely available. Because the data is completely open I am not asking for people’s email addresses.

If you want to be included in the database you can put your details in on the form here. This will allow anyone to re-use the data (which you can find here) to generate lists on appropriate web-pages, or maps or any number of other nice re-uses of the data. If you are interested in the working of the database give me a yell and I can give you admin access.

PMR: As soon as we start to get the results of the NMR calculations on NMRShiftDB we’ll put them up, but I don’t want to register this before we have actually started (I have seen too many empty web pages in my career and I don’t want to leave them myself.) So we all have to be a little patient.

But then I thought that CrystalEye is an ideal resource for data-driven science. I’ve blogged about how crystal-data-driven research started in the mid-1970′s but there is a great opportunity to use crystalEye in new ways. Unlike the Cambridge Data Centre the data includes inorganic structures. The software is modern and extensible and it should be economic to develop many new applications.

CrystalEye is, of course, OpenData (we use the OKFN licence at present) and anyone can download it (we are still working out how to implement APP – Atom Publishing Protocol – to make this easy). But we’d also love to explore collaborative projects. We have all the data and software here so you don’t have to set it up. Crystallographic data makes good undergraduate, Master’s and PhD projects – Egon should know. So if you – or your collaborator/students/supervisor/whomever is interested in using this data perhaps we could explore this on the Wiki.