Another publisher catch-22?

I had a really enjoyable day at Colorado State University yesterday – making a videocast and then giving a hyperpresentation which ranged from repositories to the growing destructive power of organised publishing. At drinks afterwards I made the usual suggestion – “if we all stopped taking closed access journals the publishers would have to toe the line?”
And the librarians at CSU hit me with a terrifying gotcha. Apparently it applies to more than one publisher – and necessarily learned societies also.
The learned societies are not only member-organisations, quasi-commercial publishers and keepers of the discipline (a worthy role), but also provide accreditation for courses. This is, of course, highly worthy in itself and an useful way of accrediting schools which are, perhaps, not large enough to run their own course reviews. (I am not sure how much this varies from country to country).
BUT the society as part of its accreditation service requires that the college take certain journals and use certain information products which happen to be supplied by the society. If the college removes its subscriptions, then the society refuses to accredit the courses.
If I have got this right it is terrible. In commercial circles it would either be outlawed or highly regulated with chinese walls. But this seems like a monopoly where the publisher (sorry, society) can insist on a college buying highly-priced journals and information products and services.
Please tell me this isn’t so.

3 Responses to Another publisher catch-22?

1. David Barr says:

The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) does not require universities to subscribe to its journals in order to achieve RSC accreditation of its degree courses.
    Our accreditation process is outcome focussed. We do not check what specific journals are in the library. We do of course hope that the university views our range of journals as being highly relevant to achieving high output standards, particularly at advanced stages of a course.

2. pm286 says:

Thanks very much David,
    The conversation I had wasn’t about any specific discipline.

3. Eric says:

This is exactly what I expected to find out after reading the title Another publisher catch-22?. Thanks for informative article