I am presenting a talk in Poland today – although I am in Rome. http://www.eifl.net/events/open-science-education-conference-poland
Open science & education conference, Poland
13 Apr 2012 – 14 Apr 2012 Nicolaus Copernicus University (NCU) invites you to the Third International Conference on Open Access, that will take place on 13-14 April in Bydgoszcz, Poland, at Collegium Medicum NCU. This year’s theme is Open science and Open education. More information.
I hope to be on skype from Rome airport – it may be rather hairy.
I tried to create a set of slides and run an audio over them. I used Powerpoint, because it allowed narration easily. It was quite easy to create and I made a 6 minute introduction. But trying to upload it was a disaster – the upload is so asymmetric that it was taking hours and crashing. So I have changed the strategy.
We’ll play the first 6 minutes. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6280676/first.pptx
Then if we can’t skype it is worth playing the OKF/JennyMolloy/PMR video http://vimeo.com/31861413
If we can skype then Cameron Neylon has agreed to click through the points and links below while I speak.
Start with the “Academic Spring” The Guardian’s remarkable and remarkably apposite http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/apr/09/wellcome-trust-academic-spring
- Most science research/data is never properly published or used => Bad science, duplication
- This costs/loses 100 Billion+ per year; so HUGE opportunities for new business/products. Europe or Silicon Valley??
- The long-tail of science; scholarship OUTSIDE academia?
- Conventional publication does not work for data
- Diversity. No single solution. Communities of scholarship. HEP, Astronomy, Chemistry
- Domain repositories essential; Inst Repos don’t work for science
- OPEN. Must be BOAI-compliant: use CC-BY/CC0
- Are universities the solution or the problem?
- Sustainability. Funders and National Laboratories
- Mandates are poor instruments; Culture must change. Rewards?
- Create an author-centric culture/technology. Semantic documents. “ScienceForge”
- Sustainability. Alliance with wealth-generation industries?
- Text-mining VERY topical
- Theses. Must become centralised semantic, Europe?? NL++, UK–
- Demos: text-mining, repositories
- Growing points:
- Open (Web) Technology continues to advance
- Linked Open Data / Semantic Web
- Graduate students
- Scholarly poor
- Open Knowledge Foundation
“Slide links” – bold is priority
- Our Panton Principles and Panton Fellowships http://pantonprinciples.org/
- The Panton Fellows http://science.okfn.org/2012/04/03/introducing-our-panton-fellows/
- Ross’ Mounce (Panton Fellow) on RCUK mandate http://access.okfn.org/2012/03/27/the-new-rcuk-draft-open-access-mandate/
- Ross on OKFN hackathon at the Barbican, London http://www.science3point0.com/palphy/
- Our new @access movement and website http://whoneedsaccess.org/latest-news/
- Wikversity http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page
- PLoS and Wikpedia team up http://wir.okfn.org/2012/03/29/plos-computational-biology-goes-wiki/
- OKFN and peer-2-peer university create a new Data Wrangling course http://blogs.p2pu.org/blog/2012/02/08/announcing-the-okfn-p2pu-school-of-data/
- Why traditional repositories aren’t open http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/repository/about/end_user_terms.html
- How data are critical for good science http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2012/04/10/biomarker_caution.php
- New repositories
- OKFN http://thedatahub.org/
- Dryad http://datadryad.org/
- Figshare http://figshare.com/ http://precedings.nature.com/documents/7151/version/1
- Cooper’s ideas for Open Data Shariing http://figshare.com/articles/A_call_for_disruptive_innovation_in_science_publishing_with_a_new_open_data-sharing_platform_for_the_life_sciences/91541
- Textmining – the value (JISC) http://www.jisc.ac.uk/publications/reports/2012/value-and-benefits-of-text-mining.aspx
- Our textmining tools http://www.jcheminf.com/content/3/1/17
- Our textmining of Patents http://www.jcheminf.com/content/3/1/40
And a big thank you to everyone in Poland for their patience and to Cameron for helping