Semantic web : the scream!

I have just blogged Paul Miller’s Talis Community Licence and realised that – I think – I used to get a feed from his/Talis blog. So I put it in the Feedreader and found a whole lot of posts on the semantic web (or Semantic Web). Now I had been battling with SPARQL for a day or two trying to make a query with real numbers (e.g.
FILTER (?foo < "1.23"^^xsd:float)
I could NOT get it to work. Finally my colleague Diana Stewart tracked it down to the fact that in some places in RDF you are allowed to use prefixes and in some places you can't. It's almost completely arbitrary. It's not in the simple tutorials. RDF is a place where if you make an inspired guess you will be wrong. The syntax (wrong, the 3-4 syntaxes) are all over the shop. XML,N3, Turtle, ???  It makes me scream.
So I was pleased to see that Jeni Tennison (one of early evangelists of XSLT, coming up with some magic tricks – and goodness you need all the tricks you can get with XSLT) had the same reaction:

This entry was posted in "virtual communities", semanticWeb. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Semantic web : the scream!

1. Paul Miller says:

Peter – if there’s anything we can do to help prep for your talk, do yell. I’ll gladly ‘volunteer’ Danny’s input… 😉